Sunday, October 3, 2010

Soup-a-Palooza...

Potato soup with ham. I added 2 cans of canned cheddar cheese soup to the pot for a cheesy flavor. .
I am not sure what this means, but I have seen all kinds of "a Palooza's" lately. A Scrapbooking-a-Palooza, a Birthday-a-Palooza and others. So, whatever it means, the truth is, I love to make soup when the weather gets cold. It got down to about 40 degrees last night, so today was a soup day. I am going to try to post a different soup recipe weekly for a few weeks, so today is the first day of Soup-a-Palooza at my house.

Baked Potato Soup

Bake at 400 degrees for about an hour, till they are soft when you stick a fork in them:
  • 4 Large or 8 small potatoes [wash then prick each with a fork several times before putting it in the oven. I just sit them on the oven rack, but you could put them on a cookie sheet if you want to.] When done, take out of the oven, cut in half, let them cool a bit and scoop out the pulp.
If you want bacon or ham [optional] prepare it as follows.:
  • Fry 12 pieces of bacon till crisp and crumble or cut into pieces. Divide in half. Save 1/2 of it for people to sprinkle on top when they eat the soup and put the other 1/2 into the soup.
  • For ham, I like to add cooked diced ham or a small canned ham [Dak brand] and just break it up as you add it.
Melt over low heat:
  • 1/2 C [1 stick] butter, then add:
  • 1/2 C flour
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp pepper or white pepper or both!
  • 1 tsp dry mustard [optional]
  • 1 tsp garlic powder and/or onion powder [optional]
When the butter and flour mixture boils add about a quart of milk, skim is fine. Stir until the soup is thick. I usually add some water, up to 2 cups if it seems too thick.

Add the potato pulp and ham or bacon if using.

It is great just like this. But you can do a variety of things with this basic soup. Here are some ideas:
  • Add chopped parsley--dry or fresh.
  • Add 1 8oz container of sour cream just before serving [non-fat is fine] Don't let the soup boil after adding the sour cream or it might separate.
  • Add chopped green onions [2 chopped green onions is plenty or you may want to use some for garnish only.]
  • Add 1-2 cans cheddar cheese soup and and equal amount of water
  • Have grated cheddar cheese, bacon bits and chopped green onions available for people to add to their soup.
I usually make way too much so I put the left overs in glass quart jars in the fridge. It keeps for at least a week and makes a good snack, lunch or dinner. No matter how great of a restaurant I go to, if I get potato soup, it is never as good as my homemade. As a note, I don't usually add cheese right to the soup because if you do and the soup boils, it can separate. That's why I usually add canned cheddar cheese soup or just have grated cheese on the table for folks to add to their soup after it is in their bowl.

Take care,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment