|Potato soup with ham. I added 2 cans of canned cheddar cheese soup to the pot for a cheesy flavor. .|
Baked Potato Soup
Bake at 400 degrees for about an hour, till they are soft when you stick a fork in them:
- 4 Large or 8 small potatoes [wash then prick each with a fork several times before putting it in the oven. I just sit them on the oven rack, but you could put them on a cookie sheet if you want to.] When done, take out of the oven, cut in half, let them cool a bit and scoop out the pulp.
- Fry 12 pieces of bacon till crisp and crumble or cut into pieces. Divide in half. Save 1/2 of it for people to sprinkle on top when they eat the soup and put the other 1/2 into the soup.
- For ham, I like to add cooked diced ham or a small canned ham [Dak brand] and just break it up as you add it.
- 1/2 C [1 stick] butter, then add:
- 1/2 C flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper or white pepper or both!
- 1 tsp dry mustard [optional]
- 1 tsp garlic powder and/or onion powder [optional]
Add the potato pulp and ham or bacon if using.
It is great just like this. But you can do a variety of things with this basic soup. Here are some ideas:
- Add chopped parsley--dry or fresh.
- Add 1 8oz container of sour cream just before serving [non-fat is fine] Don't let the soup boil after adding the sour cream or it might separate.
- Add chopped green onions [2 chopped green onions is plenty or you may want to use some for garnish only.]
- Add 1-2 cans cheddar cheese soup and and equal amount of water
- Have grated cheddar cheese, bacon bits and chopped green onions available for people to add to their soup.