Sunday, May 15, 2011

It's a small Sonlight world...

Most of you probably know that I am a Sonlight Homeschool Curriculum Consultant, which means I travel to a few state homeschool conventions every year to display the materials, counsel parents about what would work for their families and I also support my customers year round.

I have a real passion for teaching families together using literature. Now that my children are grown it is very rewarding to come along side and help families in this way.

Kari on right with one of her teammates, Jacquie.
You probably also know that my daughter Kari has served nearly a year in Americorps.  She has been stationed in Mississippi and has worked on projects in New Orleans, Virginia, Memphis and a few other locations. But, a couple of weeks ago she was pulled off her Memphis project to go to Tennessee to assist the Red Cross with post tornado disaster response.

She has been working 12 hours a day for the past 10 days and finally got a day off.  She was excited because they were going to get a home cooked meal.  This is what she wrote:


"Then our whole team went over to Shelly's house for dinner (she's the homeschool mom who's volunteering with the Red Cross that I mentioned in a previous post), and we had a grand time of eating home cooked food and enjoying an evening with a really nice family at their really nice farm. Shelly and her husband have 4 kids and they homeschool them all. It was really neat, because I found out that they use Sonlight Curriculum, which is what Scotty and I used, and what Mom still represents and is a consultant for.
 
"Mom: I asked one of the girls if she'd read 'Mara, Daughter of the Nile' and 'The Great and Terrible Quest.' She said they had and that she loves them both. 'Mara' is one of her and her sisters' favorite books that they've read 10 or so times. I told her how Kelly [Kari's friend] read it to me when I had my wisdom teeth out because it was our favorite too. Such a small world..." 


We should have known that the really nice homeschool mom was a Sonlight mom. :)  How awesome to have favorite literature in common and to find a homeschooling kindred spirit in the midst of a disaster.

 I am anxiously awaiting bringing Kari home to Kentucky in a couple of weeks.

Take care,
Jill


Kari's Americorps Blog

1 comment:

  1. Ah... the beauty of bonding over common experiences that fantastic books can give us [smile].

    ~Luke

    ReplyDelete