Thursday, February 16, 2012

Top 100 Books for Children...

USA Today had a great article yesterday naming the 100 "Greatest Books for Kids," ranked by Scholastic Parent and Child magazine.

I beg to differ on some of them, but #1 was Charlotte's Web and I agree with that. Also on the list were such classics as Goodnight Moon, Green Eggs and Ham, Anne of Green Gables, Corduroy, The Secret Garden, The House at Pooh Corner and Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What do you see." All great choices.

There were books for older children such as The Giver, Hunger Games, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone, Anne Frank the Diary of a Young Girl and others.

With such a wide field I am sure it was hard to narrow it down to just 100, but on the whole, it is a pretty good list. If you want to read aloud to your children on a regular basis, this would be a great place to start. I have a couple of other sources I go to to pick out great literature for children that I would like to share.

Of course, the Sonlight Catalog is one of the first places I look. If you would like one, just let me know and I will get one in the mail to you quickly. You can just email me at jevely@sonlight.com.

Another list I love is the 1000 Good Book List  compiled by Classical Christian Education Support Loop. There is also this list for college bound students.

I realized when I was a young mother with a newly minted college degree that I had a pitiful education when it came to reading great literature. The above list for college bound students is a great place to start if you, as an adult, want to become more culturally literate. I remember reading Uncle Tom's Cabin for the first time after I got out of college and it kept me spellbound. I first read many other books such as To Kill a Mockingbird, Huckleberry Finn and The Witch of Blackbird Pond"  when I read them to my children. What treasures! What a richness of language. What insight into culture. What a great way to interact with your children and to pass on your core beliefs.

If you are looking for good books, start with these lists and see which ones appeal to you, then read, read, read. There is so much to discover through great books.

Enjoy,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment